The week-long celebration of the traditional Junkanoo Festival is right around the corner – and we are so ready to shake, dance and sing! This is the time of year the unique Bahamian culture is on display for all to see and experience. A long history surrounds the festival and it is the biggest celebration amongst Bahamian locals. Everyone is invited to celebrate, eat and drink, and dance the night away in celebration of the Junkanoo Festival.
The name “Junkanoo” originates and is a tribute to the legendary African tribal chief, John Canoe. It is a celebration of freedom and traditionally started as a masquerade party during the Christmas season. They used these three days to celebrate by dancing in colorful masks and walking from house to house on stilts. Marking the end of the current year and ensuring a grand and festive new year. The streets are filled with natives covered in colorful costumes, smiling from ear to ear as they stomp and dance to the beat of the drums. If you’re looking for a truly authentic Bahamian experience, this is an event you do not want to miss.
The beat of the drums is influenced by West African rhythms and American blues. Incorporating the beat using brass horns, cowbells, whistles and of course – drums. The music is one of the key components of Junkanoo, after all, it’s what gets the people dancing! The Goombay drum is a large drum that is strapped over the shoulders and played with bare hands. They were originally created by stretching goatskin over a wooden barrel. The Rake’n’Scrape is a very distinctive Caribbean tune that is produced by bending a handsaw and scraping it with an object such as a nail or butter knife to create a variety of lively sounds.
The expression of Junkanoo is shown off in the costumes. The first set of costumes were masks made from flour paste and colorful crepe paper over the body. The costumes have now evolved to ecstatic works of art made from crepe paper that is carefully glued to fabric, wood or cardboard. The outfits consist of dresses or skirts with a show-stopping headpiece to tie the whole outfit together.
Parading through the streets covered in vivid bright colors and dancing to the beat of the drums is a custom experience unlike any other. Locations such as Nassau, Exuma, and Eleuthera host the biggest Junkanoo festivals all week long. If you can’t make it to this year’s Junkanoo, plan a trip for the new year to partake in a traditional Bahamian festival. Call Air Unlimited today and schedule your flight for 2020!
Time slows down when you take your first step on the pristine Pink Sands Beach on the coast of Dunmore Town. A seafront village that began as a summer residence for the first governor of the Bahamas, Dunmore Town provides picturesque views away from the more touristy spots on the island.
It is easy to get lost in the tropical hideaways of Dunmore Town. This secluded village is the perfect destination for a vacation full of relaxation and fine dining. Air Unlimited will fly you right into North Eleuthera and the only thing separating you from this heavenly town is a ten-minute drive to the ferry dock and a scenic ferry ride over to Harbour Island!
Air Unlimited recommends these historic and relaxing resorts to experience the luxury, elegance and charm of this quaint town in Harbour Island. If you’re ready to dip your toes in crystal blue waters and lay out on powdery pink sand while your skin warms from the rays of the sun, then these are the resorts for you:
- Melt all your worries away on any part of this 20-acre timeless Bahamian jewel that is famously known for leaving a place in your heart – forever. The Pink Sands Resort is historic, classic, elegant and a true beacon of Bahamian luxury. Private, winding and palm-shaded paths meander their way through lush rambling gardens full of flowering hibiscus, frangipani and fruit trees, leading to 29 luxurious cottages, villas and homes. Each cottage was characterized by a British Colonial, old Bahamas aesthetic with a beachy feel, having modern amenities and first-class service.
- The staff of The Dunmore invite their cherished guests to the ever-welcoming island retreat. Breezy patios, vintage rattan, pink conch shells and 1960s glamour is what makes up this resort paradise. Built by an award-winning architectural firm and designed by a Nassau-based interior designer to emulate the island’s timeless 18th and 19th century style. This 10-acre tropical hideaway is steps from the soft pink sands of Pink Sands Beach. Wake up in one of the prestigious guest cottages and overlook the blue oasis of the ocean while soaking in the warm Bahamian charm.
- Intimate and secluded, this charming family-run hotel has an eclectic mix of accommodations. Choose from five tent cottages, three beach shacks and seven rooms to accommodate your vacation wants and needs. The tent cottages are framed by swaying coconut palm trees with a stunning view of the ocean. The Tree Trunk tent cottage has two palm trees that protrude through the roof to give that continuous outside beach setting. The Beach Shacks feature a sun deck and outdoor claw foot tub and king size Bahamian vintage style bed. Wake up and feel as if you’re away on your own private island.
No matter where you stay, you will experience the essence of the Bahamian charm in Dunmore Town. Air Unlimited hopes you stay awhile and if there is one piece of advice, it’s to extend this vacation. Your tropical paradise awaits, plan ahead and book now!
The holiday season is upon us and now is a great time to start planning your escape from frigid temperatures by booking a tropical getaway with family and friends. Eleuthera, a quaint island in the Bahamas is full of traditional and native holiday events that you don’t want to miss. This charming island encourages guests to celebrate the season by meshing existing family traditions with the island’s unique – and colorful – Bahamian celebrations.
Governor’s Harbour and Central Eleuthera are two of the premier Bahamian destinations offering exciting ways to celebrate the holidays in paradise this year. Get in the holiday spirit with these exciting celebrations that await on the islands’ pink sandy beaches:
- Thanksgiving Crafters and Cultural
- Date: November 30
- Location: Bayfront Park in Governor’s Harbour
- Details: This annual event will showcase an array of authentic Bahamian hand crafts and trinkets. Get an inside look at the Junkanoo festival with dancers, live music and fire dancing!
- Annual Tree Lighting and Music in the Garden
- Date: December 7
- Location: Palmetto Point in Central Eleuthera
- Details: Watch the ceremonious lighting of the Christmas Tree while enjoying dancing, live music, games for the whole family and tasty native food during this event sponsored by the Cancer Society of Eleuthera.
- Eleuthera Junkanoo Festival
- Date: January 9-11
- Location: Governor’s Harbour
- Details: Come listen to the sounds of island music and enjoy the display of colorful costumes and parades to celebrate the New Year while enjoying seasonal treats, carolers, food and entertainment, amongst the decorated marketplace.
These events, and more, invite you to experience the holidays in a new and spectacular way. Book a trip to Eleuthera with Air Unlimited and your relaxing vacation begins the moment you arrive at our private hangar. We offer the luxury of free parking, quick check-in, free luggage up to 40 pounds and spacious seating with window views, so there’s no need to stress during your travel to paradise.
Air Unlimited invites travelers to take a flight to Spanish Wells, a quaint and prosperous island in the Bahamas. This destination welcomes guests in an effort to boost island tourism, which will play a major role in helping the Bahamas recover from Hurricane Dorian’s impact.
Largely unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, Spanish Wells is located off the northern tip of Eleuthera Island and is reminiscent of an idyllic Cape Cod fishing village. The houses and cottages are freshly painted with pastel colors and wooden shutters sitting on winding roads. The island is surrounded by swaying coconut-filled palm trees, shallow crystal-clear waters and pink sand. Spanish Wells is sure to become one of your favorite vacation destinations.
Bring out the explorer in you with the expeditions below, which are highly recommended by Air Unlimited for your next trip to Spanish Wells.
Excursions and Things to Do
Whether you want to swim with marine life or eat Johnnycake, Spanish Wells has something for everyone on land and at sea. Stretching from the northeast tip of mainland Eleuthera to Spanish Wells lies a colorful barrier reef called the devil’s backbone. Explore an area that has taken out more vessels than any other reef in the country, as at least seven sunken ships now settle atop the sharp coral. Back on land, quaint villages offer fun-filled explorations for anyone. We recommend:
- Bruce Pinder is a great leader, having played a key role in Abaco relief efforts, as well as guiding vacationers around Eleuthera on a regular basis! For tourists, his excursion group offers half and full day boat charters for island hopping, trips to visit the amazing swimming pigs, and historical Eleuthera tours.
- Lorin and Capt. Cassidy are brothers who offer an experience of the blue depths like no other. From cage dives, wreck dives, snorkeling and group charters, these captains will give you the experience of a lifetime on their 46-foot Chris-Craft boat.
- Paulie, a local native with more than 30 years of experience, will take you to swim with the Bahamian pigs, cliff jump, bridge jump, snorkel and more!
- The impulsive shopper in you will have everything you ever wanted to take back home to remember the beautiful lifestyle of Spanish Wells.
Places to Eat
Three restaurants serving native Bahamian and American dishes are the local hot spots located in Spanish Wells. Hang out, dance, laugh and eat together alongside the beautiful waters while watching the colorful sunsets. We recommend:
- Mediterranean and Bahamian cuisine with a variety of cocktails coming from the fully stocked bar.
- Ever had a traditional Johnnycake? Kathy’s Bakery serves the island’s best for this Bahamian specialty, which is a tasty take on cornmeal pancakes. It also offers an assortment of delicious breads, pies and cakes.
- This perfectly colored blue hotspot sits at the entrance of Spanish Wells Harbor, offering fine waterfront dining both inside and outside.
Spanish Wells is full of hidden gems – come as a guest and leave as a friend of this beautiful town for life. Take a flight to Spanish Wells with Air Unlimited and embark on a new adventure!
The months of May through November has everyone in a whirlwind from the possibility of hurricanes forming and making landfall. Planning ahead is important for ensuring hurricane preparedness to make sure you have all the essentials ready in the chance of a storm. Below, Air Unlimited shares some of our top tips and advice to better prepare for a hurricane.
Plan your evacuation route
Plan ahead and leave yourself enough time to travel days before the hurricane touches land. If you plan on flying, book a flight for a few days in advance. If you plan on driving, fill your tank up and bring a couple extra gallons of gas in case of longer travel time. Be prepared to drive on the road longer than the usual estimated time, due to heavier traffic caused by the many residents and travelers seeking dryer land. Pack a few snacks and don’t forget the car chargers!
Riding the storm out? Be sure to have extra supplies and keep everything easily accessible, in the case of losing power. We suggest having extra batteries, flashlights, candles, lighters, first aid supplies, prescription drugs, basic tools, and a radio.
Food and Drinks
If you are staying home, make sure to have plenty of drinking water handy. Another quick tip is to fill your bathtub up with water before the storm, so you’ll have the chance to still bathe yourself in the event your water shuts off. Buy non-perishable foods such as canned meats, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, bread, and your favorite snacks.
Don’t leave your pets behind! Always bring your four-legged companion with you if you decide to leave. If you stay, have at least a week’s worth of pet food and water as backup, a pet “thunder” shirt or vest, toys, and their favorite chews to keep them busy. If they have storm anxiety, play calming music and keep them in a dark area to settle their nerves. Also, consider buying a piece of fake grass to keep in the garage to avoid taking your dog out during the storm.
- Charge all your electronics and portable chargers so everything is 100% charged up.
- Take loose items off the walls, such as picture frames or anything delicate.
- Put paper documents in the dishwasher since it is sealed and waterproof
- Get cash from the bank to have money on you
- Stock up on blankets and waterproof tarps
- Locate your nearest emergency shelter, in case it becomes needed
Using these hurricane preparedness tips and more, Air Unlimited hopes everyone stays safe and sound during any upcoming storms. For additional tips and to stay up to date on any new storm developments, always follow along with national and local news.
When it comes to traveling internationally, many people aren’t sure what they can bring, how to pack efficiently, and most of all, how to avoid extra hurdles at the airport. The long lines from customs, security, and money exchange can be dreadful. The extra fees from luggage add-ons can stop you from bringing back keepsakes from your destination. The last thing you want to do before an exciting vacation overseas is stress – and that’s why Air Unlimited strives to make your traveling experience hassle-free. We explain the benefits of flying with Air Unlimited and what you can bring on your Abaco Island flight, below:
Air Unlimited is unlike your typical airport experience. Upon arrival at our private hanger in Sanford, guests are greeted with free valet parking and a relaxing lounge area. There is no crowded security lines or TSA members rushing you along. The best part, you only have to arrive 30 minutes before your flight is scheduled for take-off.
When you fly with Air Unlimited, you are allowed to bring your own alcohol to enjoy on the islands upon landing and you can pack water bottles for the plane ride. You can also bring up to 40 pounds of luggage for free, so you can pack for your trip without too much worry. It’s also important to note that you will need to bring cash, since credit cards are not accepted in most places on the islands.
After take-off, you will arrive at either the Treasure Cay Airport or the Marsh Harbour International Airport, depending on your travel plans. Bahamian customs officers will check your bags, but you should know that you can bring any items that are in compliance with the FAA regulations. You can find a list of FAA regulations here.
The saying “take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints” is a great rule of thumb when it comes to your time on the islands. Keep that in mind as you explore the beautiful beaches that are covered in sea shells and native plants. There are multiple national parks in the Abacos that protect the land and water that they inhabit. These areas are protected by law, and there are hefty fines for those who try to take home some of nature’s gifts.
Once you arrive back to Sanford, your bags will be checked by U.S. customs. A great travel tip is to keep any receipts from your trip that can help report the amount of duty-free purchases that you’re returning with.
Let Air Unlimited show you how easy flying internationally can be. Book with us today for an exciting Abaco Island flight!
A dream between two brothers has given the opportunity to billions across the globe to see the world and all of its endeavors from sky-high views. Over a century has passed since the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, flew the first-ever airplane in 1903. National Aviation Day on August 19 celebrates not only the remarkable progress in aviation since their first flight, but also the birthday of Orville Wright. Here at Air Unlimited, we celebrate National Aviation Day with our boutique airline services, offering passengers incredible flight experiences, educating them about aviation and inspiring future generations of pilots and air crew.
The Wright brothers invented the first successful airplane, Flyer I, which was able to stay aloft for a total of twelve seconds and cover a distance of 120 feet. We have come a long way since Flyer I, an all wooden aircraft covered in finely-woven cotton cloth and an aluminum engine. Today, our boutique airline is proud to service flights with our two Beechcraft King Air 200 air carriers and our Cessna Citation CJ3 jet. Both of these vessels feature advanced avionics technology, unprecedented comfort and safe passage. Our CJ3 even offers Wi-Fi at an optional charge, allowing passengers to stay connected while in the air.
To celebrate National Aviation Day, Air Unlimited wants you to consider taking a journey into the past, present and future of air travel. Below, are some of our tips for enjoying the day and recognizing the gift of aviation.
- Take a Destination Flight
- Seek the view the Wright brothers worked so hard to achieve – the bird’s eye view from the sky. Aboard a luxurious flight and fly across an array of blue seas to land in the ultimate Caribbean paradise. To make sure your trip is hassle-free from start to finish, Air Unlimited offers quick reservations, free valet parking, fast check-in, short lines and a comfortable, private waiting area. In flight, each of the nine seats feature window-views and plenty of leg room. In just over an hour, you’ll land in the beautiful and tropical Abaco Islands.
- Learn More About Aviation
- To learn more about the history and future of aviation, visit a local aircraft museum or science center featuring planes. If you’re feeling adventurous and visiting the Washington D.C. area, see the Flyer I at the Smithsonian Museum. Consider checking out aviation books at your favorite library or renting an exciting aviation movie. You could even take an introductory flight lesson.
- Inspire the Future Generation Pilots
- Many of today’s pilots became fascinated with aviation at a young age. At Air Unlimited, we hope to inspire the young passengers with our Junior Pilot Program. Registered kids fly in the cockpit with the pilot, experience stunning views from the front of the plane and learn about air travel. These kids walk away from their aircraft charter or commuter flight with a certificate, photos, a souvenir, and their very own pilot wings.
No matter how you choose to spend National Aviation Day, we hope you can celebrate the wonder of flight on this special holiday! Fly with us today to experience a boutique airline and celebrate National Aviation Day!
Nothing is better than a relaxing vacation with all your loved ones. When you book an Abaco getaway, you are booking a fabulous beach vacation for every member of the family, even the four-legged members. We know traveling with your pets can seem daunting, but if you are prepared, it really is a breeze. Here are some of our tips for bringing your pets on a flight, whether it’s flying to the Abacos or traveling to a different destination:
- Visit your veterinarian. – Make sure you plan a vet visit a few weeks ahead of your trip. Your vet will make sure your pet has all of its vaccines and will sign a health certificate, which is required for travel on many airlines. Every state adheres to different policies, so make sure to do your research to ensure you don’t miss any important steps leading up to and during your trip. Additionally, your vet can also provide you with tips for keeping your pet calm during the flight.
- Plan ahead. – Receiving the correct documentation and confirming flight arrangements can take time, so it’s always a good idea to book in advance. If you are flying to the Abacos with your pet, you can learn more about the process and what you will need on The Government of the Bahamas website or at Bahama’s Pet Permit. Additionally, some airlines have a limit on the number of pets allowed per flight and reserving ahead of time can guarantee your furry friend a ticket before they sell-out. Don’t forget that you should also pack your pet’s favorite toys, treats, and necessities into an easily accessible bag the night before you leave for vacation.
- Think about meal time. – We all know that travel is a nightmare when we don’t feel well, and the same goes for our pets. Because of this, it’s a good idea to avoid feeding your pet a large meal right before boarding the plane to prevent an upset stomach. Also, make sure they have something to chew on during take-off and landing. This will help prevent their ears from popping and will make them more comfortable.
- Schedule play time before travel time. – Travel time can make for a long day for our furry friends, so make sure you schedule some time for your pet to run around and play before you head to the airport. This will help them release their energy, and a tired pet will rest easier on the plane.
- Fly direct, whenever possible. – Layovers are already inconvenient but imagine trying to manage a pet through a connecting flight. As bad as the wait is for you, it’s even harder for your pet. If possible, try to cut down your pet’s total air time and travel time by booking direct flights.
Flying with Air Unlimited makes taking your pet on an Abaco getaway easier than ever. Two pets are allowed on board per flight and are welcome to relax in the cabin space with you. If your pet is more energetic, they can fly on a close harness or in a pet carrier next to you. Once you land, you and your four-legged friend will be well rested and ready for fun in the sun. Call us today for more information at (407) 585-4300.
With over 100,000 miles of shimmering turquoise waters surrounding the Bahamas’ Out-Islands, it is no surprise that the Abacos are considered the boating capital of the Bahamas. When you vacation in Marsh Harbour, you become immersed in a world of boats made for leisure, sporting, and fishing, as well as super yachts crafted for a day of luxury.
Marsh Harbour is the ultimate boating destination for those looking for convenience and comfort. The Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina is the largest marina in the Bahamas with 198 boat slips and dozens of amenities. This marina offers guests 24-hour security, Internet, TV, full detailing, cleaning, electricity and fueling services. Other amenities are included for your enjoyment, such as pools with a swim-up bar, free showers, token laundry, nightly entertainment, and more. Also, guests who prefer to spend the day at sea and the night on land can still stay close to the action at the Abaco Beach Resort, never missing a sunrise sail.
The Abaco Beach Resort and Marina also offers competitive pricing with rates as low as $3.10 per foot per day for a short-term slip rental and $1.50 per foot per day for a long-term slip rental. Thinking of planning a private rendezvous? Group rates are also offered, and marina experts will gladly help plan a custom event that will leave a lasting impression on your guests. The culinary team can even assist in planning an island-inspired menu for your guests when you return from a day on the water.
For less experienced boaters or travelers without their own vessel, boats can be rented daily at the marina, or through nearby rental companies such as Cj’s Abaco Dorado Boat Rentals, Blue Wave Boat Rentals or Dream Yacht Charters. With so many rentals to choose from, you are sure to find the right boat to fit your needs.
Next time you’re looking to set sail, consider a vacation in Marsh Harbour. Forget the hassle and schedule your boat ahead of time or rent one when you get there. When you fly with Air Unlimited, you can be out of the sky and on the docks faster than you can raise the anchor! Book online at www.flyairunlimited.com.
Your wedding day is one of the most special days of your life, so why not make it even more memorable by planning an Abaco Island getaway to coincide with your big day? The Abacos is a great place to travel, whether it’s for a bachelor/bachelorette party, destination wedding or honeymoon celebration.
Located in the Bahamas, the turquoise waters and powdery sand of the Abaco Islands are a huge draw for many wedding festivities. It’s the perfect place to soak up some sun and get that wedding glow with your spouse, friends and loved ones.
Beyond the sea and sand, there’s plenty to do in the Abacos. You can sign up for some relaxation by booking a spa session at Island Spirit Day Spa in Treasure Cay or The Abaco Club’s exclusive spa. If you’re staying in Hope Town, you can visit the iconic Hope Town Lighthouse or do some shopping in the village. You might even find the perfect souvenir to remember your trip. If you and your group want a day on the water, stop by Blue Wave Boat Rentals in Marsh Harbour and rent a boat for the day. Customers have full access to the marina facilities, including their grilling stations, so feel free to barbeque some burgers or fresh fish once you return to land. With so many exciting activities available in the Abacos, your wedding guests will want to extend their stay beyond your big day!
If you’re planning a destination wedding, the Abaco Islands are the perfect mix of quaint and tropical. There are fewer crowds than some of the other islands in the Caribbean, meaning that you and your loved ones will have a more private experience. From tying the knot surrounded by turquoise waters on the beach, in a quaint inn, luxurious resort or traditional chapel – every couple is sure to find the best venue to say “I do”. You’ll capture some amazing wedding photos with breathtaking island scenery.
Whether you’re traveling with your entire “I Do Crew,” or alone with your new spouse, your Abaco Island getaway starts the moment you arrive at Air Unlimited. We believe that getting there is half the fun, so sit back, drink some champagne and let us do the flying. Book now at www.flyairunlimited.com.
In addition to the world-class beaches, resorts and spas in the Caribbean, there are many ways to experience the natural beauty and wildlife of the islands. For your next vacation to the Abacos, consider taking a look at the wilder side of the Bahamas with our top recommendations for nature lovers.
Fowl Cays National Park, a short ferry ride from Marsh Harbour, is an underwater enthusiast’s paradise with more than 1,300 acres of biologically diverse coral reefs and seagrass beds. Be sure to bring your snorkel or diving equipment, because you won’t want to miss the chance to see some of the Bahamas most beautiful fish up close, such as Barracudas, Lionfish, Clownfish, Nassau Groupers, Spiny Lobsters and Blue Tangs.
Looking for some less traditional aquatic wildlife? Look no further than No Name Cay, where wild pigs will actually swim up to meet your boat as you dock. No one is quite sure how these pigs came to be on this island, but they sure make for an interesting addition to the Abaco wildlife. When visiting No Name Cay, consider bringing some extra fresh water or fruit with you to share with the pigs, as they always welcome tasty treats from visitors. Of course, it’s good to keep in mind that there is always a need to be cautious around any wild animal (no matter how adorable and friendly they seem)!
The Abaco National Park, located about an hour’s drive away from Marsh Harbour, is the perfect day trip for bird watchers looking to catch a glimpse of the endangered Bahama Parrot. When visiting the park, you’ll have the chance to see these colorful birds, which feature white heads, green bodies, and vibrant, cobalt blue wings. About 5,000 acres of the park is dedicated as a parrot nesting area and habitat, offering these birds a rich source of food and safe haven for breeding season. In fact, the ground’s limestone cavities are perfect for these birds to nest in.
Another bird-watcher’s paradise can be found outside Treasure Cay at Black Sound Cay National Reserve. Here, visitors will find a small mangrove reserve, which is home to waterfowl, such as tiny Sanderlings and Piping Plovers, as well as migratory birds such as Painted Buntings, Indigo Buntings, American Redstarts, Black and White Warblers, and Magnolia Warblers.
With so many wildlife parks and reserves to visit, nature enthusiasts should make a vacation to the Abacos top of their bucket list. Book a flight at www.flyairunlimited.com and experience the wilder side of the Bahamas on your next trip!
It’s that time of year again! The Abaco Islands are about to become a hotspot for fishing enthusiasts looking to duke it out to become the winner of the 2019 Abaco Black Diamond Series. This event is a three-part fishing series that kicks off on April 10th and runs through June 1st. Even though the tournament starts in just a few weeks, there is still time to book a flight to Marsh Harbour with Air Unlimited.
The White Marlin Roundup, which is the first leg of the series, begins on April 10th with a cocktail party and dinner. The real fun, however, starts on April 11th when all competitors depart from the Abaco Beach Resort marina for the first day of fishing. This leg takes place during the transition from sailfish to blue marlin season.
Between the first and second leg of the Black Diamond Series, the most elite teams of the sporting boats community are invited to compete in the Custom Shootout Invitational. This event runs from April 29th to May 4th and raises money for charities such as the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, IGFA, and Joe DiMaggio’s Children’s Hospital.
The Shootout: Production vs Custom (P vs C), is the second leg of the competition, which begins on May 15th and runs through May 18th.on May 15th and running through May 18th. During this leg, production and custom boats will compete in a billfish tournament to settle the age-old debate over which type of boat is the best for sport fishing. The final leg, the Abaco Beach Blue Marlin Tournament, which begins on May 29th, allows participants to finally hook their lures into one of the largest fish the Bahamas has to offer, the Blue Marlin.
Throughout the competition, there will be live scoring available through links on the Skip’s Tournaments website, and participants who compete in all three legs of the series will qualify to win cash prizes and custom championship rings. There are also various cash prizes up for grabs during each leg of the tournament.
If you’re planning to attend this year’s tournament, our flights are the perfect hassle-free way to travel. You’ll feel well-rested and ready to start fishing as soon as you arrive. You can book a flight to Marsh Harbour with Air Unlimited and feel at ease knowing that you (and your gear!) will arrive quickly and safely in the Abacos. During our peak summer season, we’ll be extending our flight options to offer up to five flights per day, providing guests with more flexibility than ever. Book online today!
It’s no secret that we strive for perfection at Air Unlimited, and a big part of our success rests in the hands of our world-class pilots. Our pilots know that each passenger expects the very best when booking a luxury flight experience. Because of this, they go out of their way to offer exceptional service and treat every passenger like part of the family.
You may wonder why our pilots enjoy going above and beyond for our passengers, and the answer is simple: they truly love what they do. Co-founders, Mark Neubauer, and Chick Gregg, are both pilots that appreciate aviation and all it has to offer. By sharing their expertise and passion for aviation with the rest of the crew, Mark and Chick lead by example, helping the entire team feel inspired.
Outside of work, many of Air Unlimited’s pilots enjoy flying in their free time, keeping their skills sharp for our passengers. For some, this love of flying started at a young age. In fact, Pilots Todd Sickle, Ron Bernard, and Ed Moon discovered the wonders of flight as children. Ed decided he wanted to be a pilot at only 14 years old. As a child, Ron was fascinated with model airplanes, and nowadays he’s fascinated by the real thing. Similarly, Todd grew up next to the Orlando International Airport and began watching planes take-off and land early on. After 21 years of flying experience, he continues to enjoy frequent flights and getting to know the passengers.
For other Air Unlimited pilots, flying is in their blood – at least that’s what our Pilot Greg Rupp says! Pilots Dave Owen, Alan Griffin, Chick Gregg, and Mark Neubauer also had fathers or grandfathers who were pilots. Hearing their family stories of aviation helped spark an interest in flying.
Chief Pilot, Josh Stover, graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, where his passion for aviation expanded as he learned all about flight. Interested in passing on his knowledge of aviation, Josh became a flight instructor at the school, before ultimately joining the Air Unlimited crew.
Realizing that passion is developed early in life, our pilots are now dedicated to inspiring children through our Junior Pilot Program, which allows kids to get an up close and personal look at life as a pilot. Children are invited into the co-pilot seat on a flight to the Abacos, where they can witness spectacular views, see how the equipment works, and ask our pilots questions about aviation. Through this program, we hope to spark the next generation of pilots.
We can tell you about our pilots’ passions and skills, and our great services and programs, but why not show you instead? Next time you plan a trip to the Abaco Islands, let us do the flying. We promise you’ll be in good hands and will enjoy a luxury flight experience with Air Unlimited. Book online at www.flyairunlimited.com.
The Air Unlimited team is excited to share a sneak peek of our latest efforts to support youth in aviation: Aerospace and Aviation Day. This event takes place tomorrow at the Orlando Sanford International Airport and is designed to inspire Seminole County children to consider careers in aviation. We are thrilled to be participating this year and can be found interacting with students from Seminole County Public Schools from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at booth #28.
Several of our pilots at Air Unlimited became fascinated with flight at an early age, making them eager to share their aviation knowledge and passion with today’s youth. Our goal is to inspire the next generation of aviation professionals, and we’re excited to join Aerospace and Aviation Day in making an impact on our community. In fact, last year’s event inspired so many children to pursue careers in aviation that Seminole County Public Schools has since created an Aviation Academy at Seminole High School.
To further nurture interest in aviation, we are planning pilot meet-and-greets, so students can get up-close and personal with the people that make this industry special. Outside of our booth, children and their families can enjoy the event’s featured speakers from the industry, exciting aerobatics displays, free plane rides with EAA Young Eagles, and various giveaways.
If you cannot attend Aerospace and Aviation Day tomorrow, you can always have your little one participate in our Junior Pilot Program. This program allows your child to have the rare experience of learning about air travel from our chief pilot while enjoying spectacular views from the cockpit of the plane. At the end of the flight, your little co-pilot will receive a certificate with a commemorative photo, a souvenir, and most importantly, their pilot wings. You can call our team to learn more about our Junior Pilot Program at (407) 585-4300. Hope to see you and your family soon!
This year marked some exciting news for Air Unlimited, including notable company growth, added flight perks and a new program for youth passengers. Every decision we made in 2018 aimed to better serve our guests and local communities through our private plane services – from scheduled island flights and custom charters to organ transportation flights. Now, we would like to take this opportunity to reflect on some of these key moments, and how we were able to spread the news along the way.
Earlier this year, we announced that Air Unlimited had doubled its annual passenger count and hangar space, added a new plane to its fleet, and opened a new check-in desk at Marsh Harbour. This marked a major milestone for our company, and we enjoyed celebrating with our staff, passengers and the community. Excitingly, our growth story was highlighted across local news, such as the Orlando Business Journal (Article 1 and Article 2) and FOX 35.
Through firsthand flight experiences, Amy West Travel, Osceola News Gazette, and Central Florida Lifestyle also shared stories around our growing airline and its unique travel perks. This was a great way to start off 2018, and it set the stage for a fantastic year ahead!
This summer, we introduced our Junior Pilot Program, which offers youth passengers the chance to ride in the cockpit and receive their own set of pilot wings. Some of the first families to try out the Junior Pilot Program wrote about their experiences online, including About a Mom, The Suburban Mom, and Sonni Abatta. It was rewarding to see the excitement on each of our Junior Pilots’ faces, as they graduated from the program and received their certificates. We’re so excited to include this new service for years to come.
For the 2018 football season, we offered exclusive charter flights for hosting the ultimate tailgate in the sky. These specialty flights whisked sports fans away to their favorite games across Florida. News 13 visited the hangar for a tailgate and captured the excitement. Be sure to watch the segment here to see how our tailgating flights are unlike any other football celebration.
All of our flight perks, new and old, came together in a recent story featured by Reader’s Digest and MSN. We’re honored to be recognized by these publications for having a top-notch private airline, and we thank our fantastic guests for helping drive our continued success.
Looking ahead, our goal is to continue growing and improving our private flight services to provide guests with extraordinary experiences. To stay up-to-date with all of our latest news, check in with our blog, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Let’s face it, flying during the holidays can be extremely stressful. The hassles of parking, long lines, and busy terminals are enough to make you dread your upcoming holiday vacation. We’re here to tell you that a private flight is the best option to avoid all those stressors. We encourage you and your family to experience the Air Unlimited way. Free valet parking, fast check-in, and free luggage up to 40 pounds are just a few of the perks of flying with us! We believe the start of any vacation should begin with the ease and comfort of getting there.
Don’t just take it from us – These family bloggers are excited about the perks of flying private too:
The Suburban Mom lives in Central Florida and recently shared her awesome experience with Air Unlimited with all of her blog followers. She said, “(Flying Air Unlimited) is easier and less expensive than you imagine, but it is just as glamorous and as exciting as it sounds.” This mother-of-three breaks down the advantages of flying private with a family, including easy parking, friendly staff, and quick boarding. Read about these perks and more in her full review, available here.
About a Mom is another family blogger that wrote about her firsthand experience with Air Unlimited. In her review, she shares the story of her daughter trying out our new Junior Pilot Program, which gives youth the chance to fly in the cockpit and earn their own pilot wings. Read all about it here, and consider signing up your child for this u program before your next flight!
Sonni Abatta loves producing videos around Florida and recently shared a behind-the-scenes look at Air Unlimited’s family-friendly airline. Watching her video, you’ll hear from our very own Chief Pilot, Josh Stover, in an interview around our King Air 200 aircraft and exciting private flight experiences. You can view it here.
We’re so grateful for guests like these, who remind us that each flight is a chance to create impactful memories for families and aircrew alike. Our team is proud to provide an atmosphere that fosters these types of unique travel experiences and welcomes youth into the fascinating world of aviation.
The perks of flying private are not only helpful during the peak holiday season, when you especially want to avoid crowded airports, but are also great year-round. A private flight can make your next family trip more relaxed and enjoyable. Whether you’re looking to charter a custom flight to any destination, or you’re planning to vacation in the beautiful Abacos, Air Unlimited can get you there stress-free.
You’re more than likely familiar with Air Unlimited’s famed flights to the Abacos and custom charter services, but did you know Air Unlimited also does organ transportation flights. These trips save lives by rapidly getting doctors and organs where they need to go. In fact, our pilots have quickly and carefully completed countless life-saving missions, often alongside the Florida Hospital Transplant Institute.
When an organ transportation flight is requested, our team immediately begins making arrangements to find a crew that can fly the organ and medical team between hospitals. This can happen at any moment, so many of our pilots are ready to volunteer at the oddest hours of day or night. The crew also understands that every transportation flight is different than the next. Sometimes, our team transports the organ itself packed in a cooler with ice. Other times, we’re flying a team of doctors to harvest an organ at another hospital and bringing it back home for transplant.
Although this is very different than our typical flight to the Bahamas, it’s a rewarding experience to offer such an important and unique service.
In fact, nearly 120,000 people are waiting for life-saving organ transplants, and more than 5,000 of them are located right in our backyard, here in Florida. Unfortunately, every 10 minutes, another person is added to the waiting list, and 21 people die every day while waiting for their turn. So, when a match is made, we know that every second counts.
Even though we’ll never meet these patients, we feel honored to help them through our organ transportation flights. If you’d like to make a difference too, we invite you to consider becoming an organ donor. Only 54 percent of Americans are organ donors, yet one donor can single-handedly save and heal more than 75 lives! To learn more about the process or to sign up to be a donor, visit https://www.organdonor.gov/register.html.
Some of the most common New Year’s Resolutions involve eating healthier, losing weight and being happier. In 2019, step out of the norm and resolve to travel more instead – starting with a flight to the Abacos! Booking a trip to this tropical destination can help jump-start your 2019 travel plans and check off resolutions, such as:
- Create New Memories
- Traveling creates memories that last a lifetime, making it time well spent. You can take solo trips throughout the year for creating more personal memories and group trips to share memories with loved ones. When reflecting on all of your special memories at the end of the year, you’ll be glad that you made traveling a New Year’s resolution.
- Explore ‘Hidden Gems’
- This travel resolution will help you adventure to more quaint places, like the islands of the Abacos. These types of destinations often end up feeling extra special to guests, who feel like they discovered one of the world’s best-kept secrets.
- Experience Different Cultures
- Anytime you travel somewhere new, you have the opportunity to experience the local community’s culture. Enjoying everything the region has to offer from foods and entertainment to dialect and traditions that can teach you about other ways of life. Make it part of your travel resolutions to embrace every new culture you meet in 2019.
- Slow Down and Relax
- Rushing through crowded airports, jumping from city to city too quickly and jam-packing your schedule at every destination can make traveling stressful. In 2019, aim to slow down and relax during your trips. Choose hassle-free options whenever possible, such as choosing Air Unlimited’s private flights over commercial carriers. During your trip, plan time to rejuvenate at a local beach, park or spa – you’ll be happy you did.
- Be Adventurous
- Balancing relaxation with adventure helps keep your trips refreshing and exciting at the same time. Don’t be afraid to try something new, book a spontaneous excursion or switch up your usual plans. 2019 is the year for being more adventurous!
Take the first step toward a travel-filled year by booking a flight to the Abacos today, where you’ll start the year off by relaxing in one of the most beautiful settings. You can save on tickets by purchasing our limited-time coupon book, available in 6 and 10 round-trip ticket options. Click here for more information.
One of the best ways to celebrate the holiday season is to travel with friends and family to a festive destination, such as the Abacos. These quaint and charming islands host a variety of holiday events throughout the season, welcoming guests to celebrate with the local community. Book a trip to the Abacos for the holidays, and you’ll share unforgettable memories with your loved ones while mingling old traditions with new-found ones.
Marsh Harbour, Treasure Cay, and Hope Town are a few hotspots in the Abacos that are offering exciting ways to celebrate the holidays in paradise this year. Each island is known for its breathtaking beaches, bustling shops, and friendly people. If you’re looking to travel to one of these tropical destinations this month, here are some of the holiday events that await you:
- 13th Annual Abaco Christmas Festival
- Date: December 4th
- Location: Baic Park in Marsh Harbour
- Details: This festival kicks off the holiday season with an arts and crafts bazaar, food court, and performances, all starting at noon.
- ‘Tis the Season in Treasure Cay
- Date: December 8th
- Location: Clipper Park in Treasure Cay
- Details: Enjoy a golf cart parade at 6:30 p.m., a tree lighting and caroling ceremony at 7:30 p.m., and delightful shopping and food throughout the evening.
- The Christmas Village
- Date: December 16 – 18th
- Location: Hope Town
- Details: From 6 – 9 p.m. each evening, enjoy seasonal treats, carolers, food, and entertainment, amongst the decorated marketplace.
- Decorated Boat Parade
- Date: December 20th
- Location: Treasure Cay Marina
- Details: Starting at 6:30 p.m., dazzling boats will cruise the marina with holiday lights and cheer.
- New Year’s Day Junkanoo Parade
- Date: January 1st, 2019
- Location: New Plymouth, Green Turtle Cay
- Details: Starting at noon and lasting all day, listen to the sounds of island music and enjoy the display of colorful costumes and parades to celebrate the New Year. Regular transfers by the Green Turtle Ferry from Treasure Cay will be available throughout the day.
These events, and more invite you to experience the holidays in a new and spectacular way. Book a trip to the Abacos with Air Unlimited and your relaxing vacation will start the moment you arrive at our private hangar. We offer the luxury of free parking, quick check-in, free luggage up to 40 pounds and spacious seating with window views, so there’s no need to stress during your travel to paradise.
Just in time for holiday booking, Air Unlimited is offering a coupon book, available in 6 and 10 round-trip ticket options. You can purchase online today!
There are a range of flight myths circulating, and Air Unlimited is here to debunk four of these common misconceptions:
Myth 1: Planes Can Basically Fly Themselves
The famous “auto-pilot” mode on an airplane is often depicted in movies as a replacement for the real pilot, steering and flying the aircraft seamlessly by itself. In reality, auto-pilot is merely an advanced GPS and support system, so it’s crucial to have a human operating the flight. This is especially true during take-off and landing. Therefore, pilots have a great responsibility in making sure every flight arrives safely. That’s why our pilots at Air Unlimited are certified at the highest level and are available to discuss the flight with travelers before or after a trip.
If you want additional proof that a plane doesn’t fly itself, we invite you to book a trip with us to see our pilots in action. Every seat in our plane has an excellent view of the cockpit, where you can watch the pilot maneuver the aircraft. Upon request, or as part of our Junior Pilot Program, passengers can also book a trip in the co-pilot seat for an up-close and personal flight experience.
Myth 2: Flying Private or First-Class is Too Expensive
Many people think flying private or first-class is reserved for wealthy travelers. Contrary to this belief, many commercial flights offer affordable upgrades and reward programs for earning top-notch seats. Better yet, flying in a private plane doesn’t have to be a fantasy. Air Unlimited offers the perks of flying private for commercial prices through its book-by-the-seat scheduling system. Travelers can affordably book a trip to the Abacos, experiencing Air Unlimited’s hassle-free flights and exploring some of the Caribbean’s most beautiful and quaint islands.
Myth 3: Flying is Unsafe
Some travelers have a fear of flying or think airplanes are dangerous when in actuality, it’s safer than ever. In fact, 2017 marked the safest year in air travel history. Nonetheless, research shows that one in six adults have flight anxiety.
If you suffer from flight anxiety, the Air Unlimited team has pulled together some helpful tips and tricks for overcoming your fears, available here. Our aircrew is always dedicated to making each of our guests feel comfortable and confident!
Myth 4: It’s Too Hard to Fly with Pets
Pet owners often struggle with the question of what to do with their pets while they travel. As many people find it hard to bring their pets on commercial flights, they might choose to hire a pet sitter or boarding facility to watch over their furry friends. Yet, this doesn’t always have to be the case. Air Unlimited offers pet-friendly flights, allowing you to bring your pet directly in-cabin with you. You don’t have to worry about them traveling in cargo and being separated from you during the flight. Instead, you can relax knowing that they are safely seated with you.
Overall, there are many misconceptions about air travel that make it hard for travelers to determine fact from fiction. Air Unlimited is always happy to share our knowledge in aviation to shed some light on the truth. To learn more about Air Unlimited or to book a flight, continue clicking through our website, or give our friendly crew a call at 407.585.4300.