Nothing is better than a relaxing vacation with all your loved ones. When you book an Abaco getaway, you are booking a fabulous beach vacation for every member of the family, even the four-legged members. We know traveling with your pets can seem daunting, but if you are prepared, it really is a breeze. Here are some of our tips for bringing your pets on a flight, whether it’s flying to the Abacos or traveling to a different destination:
- Visit your veterinarian. – Make sure you plan a vet visit a few weeks ahead of your trip. Your vet will make sure your pet has all of its vaccines and will sign a health certificate, which is required for travel on many airlines. Every state adheres to different policies, so make sure to do your research to ensure you don’t miss any important steps leading up to and during your trip. Additionally, your vet can also provide you with tips for keeping your pet calm during the flight.
- Plan ahead. – Receiving the correct documentation and confirming flight arrangements can take time, so it’s always a good idea to book in advance. If you are flying to the Abacos with your pet, you can learn more about the process and what you will need on The Government of the Bahamas website or at Bahama’s Pet Permit. Additionally, some airlines have a limit on the number of pets allowed per flight and reserving ahead of time can guarantee your furry friend a ticket before they sell-out. Don’t forget that you should also pack your pet’s favorite toys, treats, and necessities into an easily accessible bag the night before you leave for vacation.
- Think about meal time. – We all know that travel is a nightmare when we don’t feel well, and the same goes for our pets. Because of this, it’s a good idea to avoid feeding your pet a large meal right before boarding the plane to prevent an upset stomach. Also, make sure they have something to chew on during take-off and landing. This will help prevent their ears from popping and will make them more comfortable.
- Schedule play time before travel time. – Travel time can make for a long day for our furry friends, so make sure you schedule some time for your pet to run around and play before you head to the airport. This will help them release their energy, and a tired pet will rest easier on the plane.
- Fly direct, whenever possible. – Layovers are already inconvenient but imagine trying to manage a pet through a connecting flight. As bad as the wait is for you, it’s even harder for your pet. If possible, try to cut down your pet’s total air time and travel time by booking direct flights.
Flying with Air Unlimited makes taking your pet on an Abaco getaway easier than ever. Two pets are allowed on board per flight and are welcome to relax in the cabin space with you. If your pet is more energetic, they can fly on a close harness or in a pet carrier next to you. Once you land, you and your four-legged friend will be well rested and ready for fun in the sun. Call us today for more information at (407) 585-4300.